Thursday, July 12, 2007

Fonts that I hate but have been forced to use

1. Optima -- awful in most contexts, and it was being used all over the place at my office at Berkeley when I started. I think it looks good when used well -- most often in 1970's science textbooks. My phase-out is 60% complete, and I look at it's elimination as a meaningful legacy to my time spent here.

2. Frutiger -- A signage font that shouldn't be used elsewhere unless you know what you're doing. Also in use at my current job

3. Ariel -- I frequently have to design MS Word forms or powerpoint things for people who are presenting on unpredictable machines. Ariel sucks but is reliable. Simonson really hates it.

4. Palatino -- I guess Zaph re-cut this recently (now called Palatino Nova). I've had to use the regular one as a text/body type frequently and hate working with it. Not the most readable, and not especially flexible with spacing. For the record, though, the old hot metal version that Zaph made looks nice.

... but on a positive note, I love the Glyph window in illustrator/indesign. Even fonts I hate have some lovable characters hidden inside (Nice smiley faces, Times New Roman.)